In 1996, Melanie co-founded Wendy Hopkins Family Law Practice. A leader in the field of family law, Melanie has helped put the firm in the top band in ‘Chambers and Partners’ and ‘The Legal 500’. She has considerable experience in big-money divorce cases, prenuptial agreements and complex disputes involving children and has acted for high profile celebrity clients.
Melanie was one of the first two solicitors in Wales to gain entry to the Solicitors Family Law Association (Resolution) specialist panel.
Melanie features regularly in the press and was identified as a businesswoman who is a leader in her field by The Western Mail.
Melanie trained at Eversheds (commercial property, company and commercial, employment law and private client). When she qualified in 1989, she stayed on in the private client department at Eversheds.
- Financial Matters
- Pre & Post Marital Agreements
- Civil Partnerships
- International Family Law
- Financial Matters
- The Legal 500 – Leading Individual
“Melanie Hamer provides a ‘professional and knowledgeable service.’”
“The ‘decisive and pragmatic’ Melanie Hamer specialises in complex, high-value matters, often involving multi-jurisdictional issues; recent work includes handling a highly complex case involving numerous companies and properties spread across the UK and abroad, and assets in the value of £50m.”
“Melanie Hamer recently acted for a high-net-worth individual in a case involving approximately 200 properties.”
“An outstanding lawyer, creative and astute.”
- The Legal 500 – Hall of Fame
Melanie Hamer is recognised in The Legal 500 Hall of Fame because her exceptional legal skills have received praise from clients in the last ten years.
- Chambers & Partners – Band 1
“Sources deeply value Melanie Hamer’s advice on divorce matters, stating: “She was great and clear-headed. She listened to me when I suggested ideas and made me feel safe.” In addition to financial remedy proceedings, she offers further expertise in children law matters.”
“Melanie Hamer is regarded as “a tenacious litigator” who demonstrates expertise in high-value divorce cases and complex children disputes. One client enthuses: “Her down-to-earth, approachable demeanour instantly put me at ease.””
“Highlighted by sources as a “standout performer” and a “top lawyer,” Melanie Hamer remains a pre-eminent name in this space, providing expert support on high-value financial cases.”
“Widely recognised for her many years of experience handling high-profile and high net worth divorce cases… a very intelligent, skilled solicitor and a tough but fair negotiator.”
“An excellent lawyer with strong client-handling and negotiating skills, and also a shrewd tactician.”
“An outstanding lawyer, and her client care is also excellent, and one source notes that she is at home in the courts and a worthy adversary for any opposing lawyer. She has recently advised a number of Premier League footballers on divorce and cohabitation proceedings, as well advising in cases involving complex trusts.”
- Best Lawyers
- Three Best Rated
- Aberdare Girls’ Grammar School
- 1983 – 1986 – University of Wales, Aberystwyth (LLB Law)
- 1986 – 1987 – College of Law, Guildford
- AF and MF and OF and AB  EWFC 65
- Trustee of Cardiff City Football Club Foundation
- Former director of Cardiff Business Club
- One of the founding members of South Wales Ladies Business Club
- Eversheds Sutherland Women in Business Mentoring Programme – as a mentor
- Monumental Welsh Women – to erect a statue of a Welsh woman in Wales
- “Thank you very much indeed for being fabulous.”
- “I really have appreciated greatly all that you have done for me and the way in which you have made the process so smooth. For the sensitivity, directness and professionalism that the case has been dealt with, I am truly grateful”
- “Every minute of our time was of the highest value and we got to the heart of the matter and I was presented with options which gave me just what I needed to make my decisions. I felt I could trust Melanie from the outset”
- “You were empathetic and also very clear, professional and forensic in your assessment of the situation and the options and it helped tremendously. Again, many thanks Melanie to you and your team.”
Melanie was born and grew up in Aberdare, she now lives in Cardiff with her husband and two children. Her hobbies include swimming, cycling, running, dog walking, skiing and gardening.